Saturday 9 July 2011

You Are Here




sandbanks prov. park - monica lacey 2011
Well, I'm nearly at the half-way point of my residency at SparkBox Studio.  A few things I've learned about myself:
1. I need a bit of adjustment time to new environments.  2.  I need an afternoon siesta.  3.  I need a daily routine.
Valuable learning! 

I’ve been having a great time in the mini-community we have here – it really makes me feel motivated to create the community I want to have:  one where people can dialogue about their ideas and projects in a safe, supportive space; where you can get feedback and help with brainstorming; where you can be your full creative self.  It’s what I had at school, and now what I have here at SparkBox, and I know that I can have it when I get home to PEI, there are so many enthusiastic, determined, and creative folks living there now!

For a few days there, we were without Internet or phone.  Such a thing happens so rarely in these hyper-connected times of ours.  There were a couple of moments where it was a hassle, but really, it was kind of a relief and really forced me to be present.  It was like the universe was conspiring so that I could actually get some work done & not be checking facebook every few minutes or losing hours at a time to StumbleUpon.  

Jessica, one of my fellow residents, is working on sculptural work that involves the human body & specimens of various sorts. The other day she and I got to talking about Body Worlds, and then Sally Mann’s photographs of The Body Farm, which, as it turns out, is actually on the campus of the university where Jessica is doing her master’s!  We wanted to check some things out online and moments like that are where you really miss the Internet.  Well, it’s fixed now – it only took Bell almost 2 weeks to come and repair it. 

Last night we all went out to attend the first annual Picton Picturefest, and saw Daniel Cockburn’s film, You Are Here, staring the late, great Tracy Wright.  I absolutely loved this film, it was right up my alley.  A bit of a puzzle, a bit of a head trip, lots of mystery & nostalgia, and a general how-does-the-mind-work vibe to the whole thing.  Not everyone’s cup of tea, for sure.  But then again, the movies on my shelf are things like Waking Life, Paprika, and Run Lola Run.  

I guess I'm interested in things that encourage people to be present, and to shift perspectives.  The Q&A with the director after the film was really interesting - he was very candid and open about his experiences and inspiration, and the questions from the audience were a good indication of the variety of reactions to the film.  I left the screening feeling incredibly inspired and really touched by the honesty and compassion of it.  The Canadian release is meant to happen early next year, so keep an eye out for it! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! Keep going on all those bursts of creative connection to the universe.

    See you soon. M

    ReplyDelete