Friday 7 December 2012

blocks are for building

canal house, Amsterdam - mrll 2012
Everyone knows about Writer's Block, it's hugely famous and has accounted for a lot of historical drinking by authors.  The thing is, you can get blocked doing anything creative.  I happen to be at the moment in a weird limbo place of feeling visually blocked, where I have just been kind of banging around in my studio and not actually hitting upon anything.  I know that the moment will pass, and in the meantime it's a great opportunity to tend to tedious admin tasks, like updating websites and CVs, and to explore the work of other artists, find inspiration, and participate in my community.

Recently a fellow Charlottetown artist, Donnalee Downe, and I teamed up to organize a 'support group' of sorts for isolated artists; a montly gathering for sharing and collaboration, and so we don't all go nuts holed up in our studios over the long, dark winter.  This kind of thing is what I miss most about being in school - having a constant community available for dialogue & collaboration.  Well, we'll just have to create it ourselves, 'tis the name of the game on small islands:  you want it, you build it.

And for inspiration?  O Internet, you magical beast full of goodies :)   Right now I'm getting fuel from amazing sculptural books, assemblage, residencies I want to attend like this one, and getting encouragement from projects like 100 Bad Paintings.

Every part of the process is a part of it, and no matter what, you must trust your own process - that much I know is true.















No comments:

Post a Comment