Thursday 17 January 2013

self-portrait

Self-portraits are not an easy thing.  Here are just a few reasons why:

1.  People often have a hard time celebrating themselves.  I'm no exception.  At the bootcamp class I go to, the instructor will often ask, "who is proud of themselves today?" and you've never heard such a lackluster whoo-hoo.  But when he asks, "who is proud of their group?" the crowd goes wild.
2.  One of the reasons I became a photographer is that I prefer to be on the other side of the lens.
3.  Modelling is much more challenging than you might think.  You're all like "I'm making my cool face" and instead, on camera, it looks like you've had a stroke.

self-portrait, January - monica lacey 2013
I did some indoor shots, and was happy with this one, actually taken by accident with my remote while I was changing the set-up/fixing my hair.

Then I thought I'd go play in the snow & sunshine and got this shot - it's been composited with some textures from old books.
self-portrait in snow - monica lacey 2013
See Juliana's self-portrait here.  Tomorrow the theme is Comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment